The Dargah of Chirag-e-Dilli is located in the Chirag Delhi Village. It is situated at a stone throw distance from the posh Greater Kailash II market. It is rather hidden amidst plantation in Chirag Delhi, an area named after the saint. It is the tomb, or Dargah as it is popularly called in India, of Sufi saint Nasir-ud-Din Mahmud. The Sufi saint was a mystic and poet amalgamated in one. He was bestowed with the title of Roushan Chirag-e-Dihli, which means the 'Illuminated lamp of Delhi' in English. The Urdu poetry or Shayeri owes a lot to the Sufi saint who died in the year 1356. He was a disciple, popularly called Mureed in India, of Hazrat Nizam-ud-din Auliya. He succeeded him and became the head of the Chisti Sufi sect of Islam.
The village of Chirag Delhi grew up around this sacred tomb. The main
tomb structure was earlier enclosed within rubble-built rectangular
walls. Muhammad Bin Tughlaq built the structure in 1358 and later also
added two small gateways on each side of the tomb. The main tomb
structure looks magnificent but is somewhat hidden when seen from the
gateways. The tomb consists of square chamber supported on twelve
pillars and surmounted by a dome with turrets on every corner. But
unlike other domes, this one is octagonal in nature and is plastered.
The shrine saw various additions down the centuries. At present there
are several structures in the complex like the assembly hall
(Majlis-Khana) or the symposium hall (Mahfil-Khana). The enclosure
consists of a graveyard, which has graves and tombs of eminent
personalities. There are also several mosques in the Dargah enclosure.
King Farrukhsiyar built one among them in the early 18th century to pay
homage to the great saint.